Monday, July 18, 2011

Tips for Finding A Private Teacher: Trial Lessons

When my son was seven and decided to learn how to play the trumpet, I had the all-important task of finding him a private teacher. I called the local colleges for both professors' and senior music major students' names in addition to the music stores who had a list of referrals. I ended up with a list of five teachers. I called each of them and asked them about their experience teaching young children in addition to their background with the trumpet. Only three of the five teachers had experience teaching children under the age of 12 so I set up a trial lesson with each of them. This gave me the opportunity to see where they taught, how well they themselves played, and how they interacted with my son. He and I talked about each of the lessons afterwards. Due to his age I only asked him whether he had fun and to tell me one thing that he learned. After the three we visited, I felt very comfortable choosing "the one." We were lucky; we found his teacher after only looking at five. Don't get discouraged! Keep looking until you get an overwhelming feeling that you have found the perfect match.

Lacey Holzbauer

No comments:

Post a Comment