Thursday, July 28, 2011

Teaching From The Kitchen

As a mommy private piano teacher I am always wondering whether I correct my kids when they are practicing or wait until the next piano lesson. I wish that I had time to sit down with them everyday and guide them through the learning process, but with all the other mommy and wife things to do every day that isn't possible for me.

That is where what I call "Teaching From The Kitchen" comes in. When the kids are practicing and I don't have time to go help them, I have them bring their music to me and we talk about it and then I send them back. Often times we will clap the rhythm or sing the notes to correct whatever it is that was stumping them. I am sure this is quite interesting for them when we clap a rhythm and my hands are covered in bread dough.

I find that it is a constant balancing act between giving them independence to learn and stepping in to help. My best tell tale sign is their reaction to me interrupting their practicing. If it ends up creating negative tension, I realize that either my approach needs to change or they need space to figure it out. If they continue to make the same mistake I wait until the next day or maybe the day after that and try again.

How do you help your kids outside of the "lesson" time? What works best for you when you are really, really busy?

Lacey Holzbauer

No comments:

Post a Comment