Tuesday, July 26, 2011

How Do You Get Your Kids To Practice?

To get my kids to practice for their music lessons I used a simple sticker and chart/calendar method. When kids are really young, say two or three years old, they typically don't understand the concept of days of the week. For them I created a chart with five boxes and gave them a sticker to put in each of the boxes after they practiced for the day. I would have them help me create it by writing their name at the top and coloring it. I wrote the words "Music Practice Chart" at the top as well. After the five boxes were filled I gave them some type of little prize. It was never anything very extravagant and usually from the dollar store. I kept the little trinkets in a container and would let them pick the one they wanted. Seeing all the prizes seemed to motivate them to continue to practice. As they got older I would change to use a calendar. I still used stickers but I would do it for practicing the agreed upon number of days during the week or month. The number of days required could be between you and your child or between your child and their teacher. Eventually my kids stopped using the charts and stickers and it has evolved into a habit and they do it along with all of their other chores for the day.

What do you do that works for your kids? How did you adjust your approach as they got older? These questions are the most often asked from my students' parents.

Lacey Holzbauer

No comments:

Post a Comment